Friday, January 26, 2007

Spanglish: The breakfast of champions

My English is getting a whole lot worse down here. I am starting to translate Spanish words back to English and actually said “explicate” today instead of “explain.” The sad part? My Spanish doesn´t seem to be getting any better either.

Today in class I asked my teacher (in very broken Spanish) if she ever gets tired of talking to adults who have the communicative ability of five year olds all the doo-dah day. She laughed, then corrected me for subconsciously translating Spanish words into English as I was reading aloud to her.

Not being able to communicate well is perhaps one of the most frustrating things ever. My current Spanish vocab lends itself to phrases like, "I really like it when the sun shines," and, "My (neighbor´s) dog ate my homework."

What I really want to say is, "I have never learned how to phrase sentences this way, and I am trying really hard, but I still feel like an idiot. And I am too tall for this table, and everything else in this country while we´re at it. My legs have to bend in this funny way for me to fit and I am beginning to feel like I have rheumatism...Sorry, I know I talk too much."

My happy compromise is Spanglish, where I say phrases like,"I am so feliz to hear that!" It has also expanded to sound effects. Earlier in the week I tried to explain to Barnaldo what I meant when he walked by in an outfit circa 1974 cinema and said,"Ohh, Ronaldo! Bow-chicka-bow-wow..."

The new game is this: mincing (English) metaphors with new Spanish vocab. Example: "That man is up a creek without a caballo," mixing "up a creek without a paddle" and "you can lead a horse (caballo) to water..."

No? Anyone? My sides? Bueller?

No comments: