Thursday, March 15, 2007

Lost in Translation

Much like I seem to have fallen into the "adult" category when I was looking the other direction, I also got voted the most qualified to translate Spanish while I was staring off into space.

I have now been elected by the director of the school to translate our weekly conferences on domestic violence (which is more Guatemalan than apple pie is American) and the upcoming political election.

It has the potential to be a very unfortunate situation when my mind still has the potential to jumble words in unfavorable ways when I show signs of exhaustion [insert story of how I tried to say, Yeah, but you know my legs are short and instead said, Yeah, but you know my skins are cut here].

I am more than slightly suspicious of my new suddenly-Spanish-savvy status; before the school paid a translator who had the mad skills of my electronic pocket dictionary, but she up and left for an indefinite period of time. Shortly after, Frederico cornered me with a "Congratulations! You are now ready to translate our conferences!" As it turns out, I am not nearly as ready to translate complex political theories as Celas Maya is ready to not have to pay for a translator anymore.

It might be the scariest thing I've done since Danny dragged me & my surfboard Lucy out into the big waves, but good practice nonetheless.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well done Ms Spence !